Saturday, January 18, 2014

Nom Nom Nom, My Guilty Pleasure: Mac n Cheese


Mac N' Cheese. 

Does it really need any more explanation? It is an all-time favorite. Cheese, Pasta and Deliciousness packed all together in one bowl. (Wow that sounded like a commercial)  I am obsessed with this meal as you can understand from my effort in describing which sounds like an advertisement. Whenever I want something creamy and whenever I want to have it for a meal, I cannot think anything rather than a plate of creamy Mac N' Cheese.

Mac N' Cheese is a classic American comfort food. To be honest Mac N' Cheese is not popular in Turkey. As you know we Turkish people love to eat meat. And we are not a fan of the Cheddar cheese. We like "white cheese" which is salted and kind of like feta. But the closest cheese to cheddar cheese is "kaşar (kashar) cheese". But no we don't use it in pasta. We eat cheese for breakfast not with pasta. Usually. That's why cheese and pasta are not very compatible in our culture. However I love it. 

As much as I love the easy Mac N' Cheese (you know the ones in the box), I prefer to cook my own. Not because it is very hard to find them here in Turkey (just kidding it is also a reason) but because it is much healthier to cook my own. I know that 5 minute pasta sounds tempting however when you cook your own it is definitely more fun than just stirring a mixture in a box or a can. I never ever buy things that I can cook myself at home. For example; chicken broth or soup or even frozen pizza. That's not my thing. I am the type that always prefers the homemade. Maybe that’s why I love cooking so much.






Photo credit: Deep South Dish
A classic Mac N' Cheese Recipe involves cream (usually). Personally I prefer to use milk instead of that. Not because milk makes the dish healthier but also because it makes the dish lighter. So that you don't have that greasy texture in your mouth. Okay this photo (to the left) might look tempting but try to go with the healthy one. You know how I like to use milk instead of cream. I just love it that way. Check this healthy recipe where I again used milk instead of heavy cream. 

There are many ways to make Mac N' Cheese; baked, with veggies, with chicken, etc. However this is just the simple version. You can add your own ingredients. Feel free to experiment the new tastes. 

Anyways, here is how I make my own stunning and the creamiest Mac N' Cheese. I hope you’ll like it. 

Ingredients: (for 1 person)
1 tablespoon of butter
2/3 tablespoon of all purpose flour
1/2 cups of milk
1 cup of pasta (of your own choice)
1/2 cups grated cheddar
Salt and pepper

Directions: 

1) In a medium pan boil some water and add a generous amount of salt. Pour in the pasta and let it cook until your pasta is "al-dente" (Al-dente is just a sophisticated way of saying tender). When they are al-dente drain them. Set aside. 




2) Melt the butter in a pan. Add in the flour. Stir them until a creamy golden brown and a thick sauce forms. Add in the milk. Stir continuously and make sure that there are no flour lumps in the sauce. You wouldn't want to eat little doughs in your pasta. 





3) Add some salt and pepper to the sauce. Stir in the cheese. Make sure that the cheese is fully melted. Pour in the pasta and mix them until well combined. You can add more 




Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment