Friday, December 11, 2015

Cafe Fernando's Cinnamon Rolls


Before I give you the recipe I would like to start by apologising because I just realised that my previous post was way back in August. September and October have been extremely tiring for me since the school started with all of its stress and overwhelming coursework. But as you might now from my posts from last year, I am obsessed with winter. December, not only the first month of winter but also the month where the new year spirit buds everywhere urged me to share one of my favourite winter recipes.

The first time I had the perfect cinnamon roll was when the ultimate cinnamon pastry coveted the entire shopping mall. Just when the soft and ooey pastry warmed my hands and the smell made me fall in love with it, I started to find the perfect recipe which you can easily replicate and amaze your neighbours with the spectacular smell. 

This recipe is also from Cafe Fernando Cookbook, which I adore and quiet obsessed with if you haven't noticed. I hope you'll try this as soon as possible. Also, I promise that I will keep the content alive full of winter smelling recipes. Hope you'll enjoy and have an amazing season, full of snow and lots of joy. 


Ingredients:
For the dough:
490 gr. all purpose flour
6 g. instant yeast
4 g. salt
80 g. butter
180 g. milk
67 g. granulated white sugar
20 g. molasses /pekmez
2 large eggs

Cinnamon filling:
45 g. milk
3 g. pure salep
125 butter, softened
160 g. powdered sugar
12 g. ground cinnamon

Note: The measurements like 6 g. or 12 gr. might seem ridiculous to the eye but for the perfect cinnamon buns, following the recipe by heart is extremely necessary. So, I highly recommend that you invest 10 liras in a decent digital scale. 


Directions

1. Melt the butter in a small sized saucepan. Heads up, since I baked these for my aunt, and since she detest the smell of butter (I know it is very hard to believe), I baked these with margarine. They worked out fine but the one with the butter was by far gave the best batch of rolls



2. When the butter is melted, pour in the milk. Then add in a mixture of brown sugar and white sugar or sugar and molasses. Mix until well combined. Let rest for about 15 minutes, until the butter has cooled down a bit. 






3. In a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer, mix the salt, yeast and the sifted flour. 



4. Crack in the eggs and mix quickly with a whisk to prevent them from cooking in the warm butter. Then pour onto the flour mixture. 



5. Before you start kneading the dough in the stand mixer, just give the mixture a stir with a spatula so the flour gets wet and you get a more even kneaded dough. If you do not have a stand mixer, you can also do the kneading by hand. However do not add any flour because the dough needs to be soft and excess flour will make it stiff and hard, which will prevent you from getting the soft texture of the pastry. By using the hook attachment, knead the dough for about 15 minutes. 



6.When you get a smooth texture, transfer the dough to a large bowl coated with vegetable oil. Turn the dough upside down in the bowl so the outside surface gets oiled and it doesn't stick to the sides as the dough proofs. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise for at least 1 hour.



7. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat the soft butter with powdered sugar and cinnamon. 



8. Flour a work surface 50 cmx50 cm. Place the dough on to the floured are and roll it until it fits the floured area. By using a tablespoon, place the butter and cinnamon mixture on the dough and spread by using an offset spatula. Do not damp the entire mixture on the dough because spreading will be extremely hard and will cause the dough to break. 







9. Sprinkle crushed walnuts and start rolling from one end. Make sure to roll tight. Cut the dough into 12 pieces and place them on a baking dish making sure that there are enough gaps between them. Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and let rise for at least 45 minutes. 






10. Remove the plastic wrap and it in preheated oven at 165 degrees Celsius for about 1 hour. When baked, eat while warm. The cinnamon rolls can be stored in an air tight box for about 2 days. But I will recommend that you consume them immediately because as they sit, they loose their softness. If you have leftovers, heat them in the oven the next day before eating. 




Enjoy. 

Recipe from Cenk Sönmezsoy's Cafe Fernando Cookbook by Okuyanus Publishing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment