Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Homemade Flaky Biscuits

The first time I tasted a biscuit was in a KFC restaurant when I was a kid. I normally do not eat bread with food like the other Turkish people. But I really liked the taste of this flaky biscuit because it was not like a normal bread. It is soft in the inside and crispy on the outside. 



I always waited to go to a KFC restaurant to eat that delicious biscuit but now I don't have wait to go there. To be honest I am not a huge fan of their chicken. I prefer to cook my own fried chicken at home which is definitely more healthier for sure. I can bake these biscuits at home anytime since I am pretty satisfied with the outcome of the homemade version of biscuits.  

The recipe requires a pastry cutter however I don't have that so I used a whisk and some knives instead. The recipe is also the recipe for a basic biscuit. But I think that you can add various cheeses or any other ingredient to add to it's taste. I know I will add some cheese the next time I bake them. 





So, here is the recipe for basic Biscuits. 

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour (325 g.)
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter (120 g.), cut in small cubes
3/4 cup milk (180 ml.) 
1 egg, beaten

Topping:
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon milk

Directions:
1) In a large mixing bowl sift the flour, baking powder and salt. Add in the butter and using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour. I didn't have a pastry cutter so I used a which and some knives instead. I whisked them first and then cut them with knives and then used the whisk again. You got the idea. Repeat until you don't see butter clumps anymore. 
 


2) Combine the milk and the egg. Give it a stir. Pour this into the flour and butter mixture. By using a rubber spatula give it a mix and make a dough which is lumpy and moist. 






3) Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and then knead for about 1-2 minutes.



4) Roll out the dough about 1- 1.5 cm thick. Cut them out with a round cutter but I used a small glass. Line your small biscuits on a baking sheet. 



5) Beat the egg and mix it with milk. Brush the tops of the biscuits with this mixture. Put it in the oven and bake in 200 degrees C for 10-15 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. 


 






No comments:

Post a Comment